Wednesday, 10 August 2016

Proof of life

In case you haven't noticed, this blog has been wonderfully regular... until I got to Rio! It's been such wonderfully relaxing two nights with nothing but nature all around me.


But now it's time to get down to business! Landed at 6pm, got to the b&b at 8, and immediately departed again to watch my first event - and incidentally the sport I've been hopelessly in love with for two decades now. After basketball came a heavy dose and tennis, and this morning I'm off to watch the cycling time trial. So where are all those promised tapes and posts?

Let's just say that when you add up the endless daily transportation, queuing, watching the Games, more queuing, more transportation, the occasional sleep, and oh - have I mentioned queuing or transportation? - the formula spits out way more than 24 hours needed. No biggie, bending time and space is what every ninja in training should master anyway. So I promise this Olympic blog (and tapes) will be wonderfully regular again in two weeks or so, once you darn Olympics end ;)

For now, little bits and pieces. Rio? Chaotic as usual. The oh-so-feared language barrier? Nothing to worry about, as all organizers, volunteers, people in all kinds of services, and my BnB hosts alike speak extremely fluent Portuguese, so I get to practice a lot.

And please be advised I'll be using that "1 pic says more than 1000 words" excuse a lot in the near future. Here's a bunch of impressions from the last three days for you!


Mere 4 hours after landing: Argentina-Nigeria tip-off.


Manu doing what Manu does.


Custom-made t-shirt, very close to my heart!


Serena - Cornet, close one.


Marc Lopez and Rafa Nadal charging through Delpo & Co.


Nishikori on the day I visited the Japan House, how appropriate.


Nobody believes Serena lost. That includes Elena Svitolina.


Madison Keys fighting Carla Suarez Navarro, and the heat.


Murray seeing off Monaco on his way to the final.


Rafa vs. Seppi.


Elena Vesnina trying to dodge Ekaterina Makarova's serve.


Brazilian Thomaz Bellucci lost the coin flip, but won the game against Pablo Cuevas.
Cue pandemonium.

2 comments: