Sunday, 14 August 2016

Most delayed post ever

Yup, it's official. This blog (not to mention the tapes) is a complete failure. Unfortunately for you, at some point I decided that falling asleep was not cool while seated in the Centre Court during the Olympic tournament as Serena Williams battled one opponent after another. (Mostly herself though.) Thus I've been trying to sleep at least 6 hours each night. Which is not trivial if you arrive at 2am every night and must leave before 8am the next morning. I'll let you do the math.

Every four years, there is a brief period in my life when sports > food > sleep > internet. I do have a million stories to tell: about Brazil and Brazilians, about the Games and their organization, about the athletes and the emotions, about the incredible people I've met. But most of them I'll tell you only when I see you in person.

For now, just added some brief descriptions of the photos into the previous post. And here's your next batch.


Here's a wet 90 degrees cobbled corner to start your day, Brent Bookwalter.


Immediately after, probably my favourite shot of the Games thus far.


Fabian is retiring this year, but I have a feeling! Let's take a pic together.


A mere hour later, and 20 metres from history.


Chris Froome crosses the line as the last rider of the day, making it official.


This... is... Spartacus!!!


Off to table tennis. Serving: Natalia Partyka, my favourite athlete of all time.
Inspiring more people out there than Phelps and Bolt combined, I hope.


New sport alert! Turns out watching hockey in a body bag can be quite exciting.


Time for a break. Strike a pose!


Daniel Goffin to serve at 9-9 in the tie-break. No pressure though.


Gael Monfils is happy. Marin Cilic is not.


Fabio Fognini & Roberta Vinci: the most relaxed and smiley Olympians ever.


Agnieszka Radwanska & Lukasz Kubot. Doesn't get much closer than 8-10 in the super tie-break.


Bitter-sweet silver medal for Piotr Malachowski, who completed the three longest throws while leading since the beginning of the discus throw competition and all the way until the very last throw.


Argentina-Lithuania. World class basketball.


As close as I'll ever get to Ricky Rubio.
Stupid restraining order ;)


Making friends. In the background: "Hey Dario, be more like Kruno. Kruno is awesome." 


Allez les Bleus!


Last but not least: like the 2004 marathon run from the village of marathon, and the 2012 tennis tournament held on Wimbledon's grass, the 2016 beach volleyball and the Copacabana are a match made in heaven.


But in case you're not excited just yet, let's make a disco inside!


Still not excited? World champions Brouwer & Meeuwsen will show you how it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment